Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Last Dance of the Offley Morris

Mark was a Morris Dancer. He did it for over 40 years - mostly with the same group - Offley Morris. I'd never heard of Morris dancing until I met him but it's one of those, shall we say "quaint", English things. Sadly, it may be dying. (At least in England.) When the group danced in the town center, little old ladies (littler and older than me) would always come up and say "God bless you for keeping the old traditions alive." It's really a shame that those old traditions are fading away.

But in truth, like Mark, many of the people in the group have moved away from the area - some due to retirement, others just because they moved. I'm told that last May Day - the biggest dance day of the year - only three people from this group showed up to dance. I suppose that signals the end of an era. Seems it's been hard for them to find younger men.

But on the planned and announced final day of dance, they turned out in force! I'm glad they did.










No comments: