Saturday, October 21, 2017

Size Matters

We were in Fort Lauderdale for a conference - the National Association of FHA Consultants. We hadn't rented a car so on the evenings that dinner wasn't provided, we needed to go somewhere within walking distance.

It was Florida. Near the coast. Fresh seafood is my first choice. We went to a place that billed itself as a seafood restaurant (it was really a sports bar). The fish selections included tilapia, salmon, and fried shrimp. I'm sorry, those don't actually count as seafood as far as I'm concerned. I opted for a salad with a bit of crab. (And it wasn't even real crab, but I'm okay with surimi.)

The next night we went to an Argentinian Steak House. It was lovely. Even though we had a refrigerator in the room, we didn't want to take back any food. So we both opted for what we thought would be the smallest option - filet. We made our salad and side dish selections and ordered a glass of wine.

The side salads arrived. Each would have fed a family of four. We nibbled at them because who wants to fill up on salad when filet mignon is on the way?

We should have been suspicious when no sizes were listed on the menu. In my experience filets are usually 6 oz. or 8 oz. Small when compared to ribeyes, T-bones, or strip steaks. Imagine my surprise when my plate arrived at the table with three filets on it. I was confused. If they had put Mark's filet on the same plate as mine, who was that third one for? I was still pondering that when another plate showed up for Mark with another three filets on it. Oh my!

Then the side dishes turned up. Enough mashed potato for a small army and sweet potato fries. Way more food than we could eat. The food was fabulous! I wish I could have eaten more of it but it was just so much. It turns out that all of their servings are a pound of meat. I wish we'd known that before we ordered. We could have shared everything and still had food left over.

I will be asking about serving sizes in the future. Live and learn.



No comments: