Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Turning Left

Everyplace on earth has it's share of bad drivers - assuming it has roads and cars. But I think Ohio may have a few more than its share. Many moons ago, when I was just a wee lass - I was waiting my turn at a light in Akron when a car full of young black guys turned left in front of me from the right hand lane. I was outraged! Outraged! What were they thinking? My best guess is that they hoped I might turn into them so they'd get that rattle trap they were driving fixed at my expense. And by the way, I'd have been equally outraged if they were white guys, or old guys, or girls for that matter. But that's not what happened and I remember it like it was yesterday because it was relatively frightening. When there is more than one lane, you don't turn left from the right lane.

A friend of mine was telling me about his elderly aunt who didn't ever make a left turn. She would drive blocks out of her way just so that all of her turns would be right turns. That's funny. Peculiar funny and ha-ha funny. Imagine going that far out of your way just to avoid a left hand turn!

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when we were in Ohio. Out in the country on State Route (or maybe it's US Route) 18 in Wellington, headed for my aunt's house. There was some piece of farm equipment in front of us but since we were about to turn left, we just slowed down and didn't try to pass. Just as we were about to turn, a little white pick-up truck came flying past us passing us and the farm equipment. Followed by a Mack truck traveling at high speed. We had our turn signal on. But neither of them would have seen it because they were coming from behind the vehicle that was directly behind us. The yellow lines were clearly painted on the road indicating that no one should be passing anyone. Had Mark's reactions not been quick it would have been an epic crash. The guy in the little pick up would have been no match for our F-250, although had he broadsided us, we would have certainly felt the impact. Equally, our F-250 is no match for a Mack truck. The guy in the white pickup is probably just stupid. But seriously, if you're driving a Mack truck, you should be a professional driver. And professional drivers should know that you don't pass in an intersection of any type, whether it's a crossroad or T-junction. And you don't pass where there are solid yellow lines.

We are thankful to be here. But we may start going out of our way to avoid left turns - especially in Ohio.

No comments: