Friday, October 7, 2016

The Great Canoe Rescue

Paddling on a river is so different from paddling in the ocean or in a swamp. This was the first time we'd paddled on a river for years. We paddled on the Green River - not sure if it's the same Green River that CCR was singing about but it was pleasant and peaceful - up until we found the one place on that river where you could wreck a canoe.

No wrecks here!
Not here either.
Paddling into a cave.
Calm flat water
We didn't wreck our canoe, or even tip it over. But we turned a bend there were two women, one middle-aged and the other a bit older who were standing in the water holding onto their broken canoe. It was too deep and swift for them to exit on either side, plus there was so much growth on either side of the steep banks that it would have been a struggle for them to get anywhere even if they did get out. And if they did get out, where would they go?

They'd left their phones in their car so there was no way to phone the canoe rental company or anybody else. They had no idea how far away they were from the take-out. (Neither did we.)

But they had prayed for help and we turned up. Since we were actually inside Mammoth Cave National Park, I tried phoning the Park Rangers. I got Voicemail. Next, I phoned 911. I couldn't really tell them where I was so I asked them to ping my phone for coordinates. They were able to do that and after checking on injuries - there were none - she told me she'd get the Park Rangers on their way.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only 15 minutes, Mark called back and let the 911 operator know that while there weren't any injuries at the moment, that could all change, if they didn't get them out of the water soon.

We were assured that they were on the way. It wasn't too long until we heard a boat motor. The Cavalry was coming! I wanted to take photos of the rescue, but I had to help paddle so we wouldn't wreck our canoe. But here are a few...





No comments: