Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Where's Your Emergency?

We live in Celina, Texas. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's a small Texas town in northern Collin County -- population about 5,500 (most of whom have moved here in the last five to ten years). You can call the mayor and talk to him on the same day. If you call the water department, someone will be there within the hour. We've got a newly refurbished town square and some new parks. Click this link if you want to know more.

But most of all, it's a quiet, safe place. If you forget to lock your door it's not a problem. If you go out for the day and leave the garage door open, it's not a problem. Everything will be just as you left it.

So imagine my surprise when someone rang the doorbell at 1:48 AM. I know it was 1:48 because the first thing you do when you're awakened from a deep sleep by a doorbell or a phone is look at the clock. It woke us both up.

Me: Who could be ringing the doorbell at 1:48 in the morning?
Mark: I don't know. Don't answer it.
Me: I'm not going to. Should I call the police?

So now we're both sitting up. Mark is listening. I am thinking - "Leave the lights off, we don't want to tip them off that we know they're here. Whoever is out there is probably checking to see if we're sound asleep before they break in to steal all our stuff and kill us. I can't believe this, we'll be like Dallas with robberies and drive by shootings."

Anyway, after five minutes of Mark hearing nothing and my wild imaginings we agree to phone the police because I will never go back to sleep.

Dispatcher: Collin County 911. Where is your emergency?
Me: Celina
Dispatcher: What is happening?
Me: Someone rang my doorbell a few minutes ago.
Dispatcher: Ma'am, are you expecting anyone?
Me: No. (It took a lot of restraint to say no and leave it at that. Really, would I call the police if I'm expecting a late night guest?)
Dispatcher: (short silence)
Me: No one rings my doorbell at this time of night. I've lived here for 30 years and no one has ever rung the doorbell at this hour.
Dispatcher: I'm going to send someone around. They'll check the grounds and then they'll knock on the door.
Me: Okay, I'll be up waiting for them.
Dispatcher: Ma'am, do you have a weapon out?
Me: I have one, but it's not out. Should I get it?
Dispatcher: Ma'am. Where is your weapon?
Me: It's in a drawer here in my bedroom. I can see it. Should I get it?
Dispatcher: Ma'am, hold on ma'am. Do you have a Jeep?
Me: Yes, we do.
Dispatcher: The hatch was open on your Jeep. An officer rang your bell to let you know.
Me: Oh! Thank you!

So we got up and went outside. The officer had already closed the hatch on the Jeep. I asked Mark if it had been broken into. No, it hadn't. He went out to get his supra key so it would be charged and ready for the morning and forgot to close the door.

So Celina is still a safe, quiet place to live and the police even watch out for old gits who can't remember to close the back doors of their Jeeps.

No comments: