Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Plight of Poor Mr. Pig

My sister Karen and my friend Nadine have been waiting to see pictures of Mr. Pig on Facebook. But I haven't posted any because he hasn't been looking that good.

I had placed plants in Mr. Pig back in the spring. They didn't do well so I removed those plants and replaced them with something I thought would do better in the full sun. But after two weeks those plants looked even worse than the first ones.

The situation called for extreme measures. Mr. Pig, along with five good sized pots and several smaller ones were gutted today. Any plant that still had a bit of green somewhere was replanted in a different location, all in the ground. Hopefully, they will thrive in their new locations. If they don't they'll either die a natural death and disappear, OR they will be uprooted and replaced with something that does thrive.

I emptied all the soil from these pots into a big trash can where I could mash it up and mix it with some mulch and put half of it back into the pots. They will all be topped up with Miracle-Gro potting soil. (I know Miracle-Gro is the best because one year I filled one pot with Miracle-Gro and an identical pot with Vigoro and then put in identical plants. The Miracle-Gro pot had noticeably larger and healthier plants than the Vigoro pot.)

Also, I don't think I'll be buying anymore plants from Home Depot or Lowe's this year. Getting them cheaper doesn't really work out if you have to replace them every two weeks. (They no longer offer their "One year money back guarantee". Probably cost them a bundle last year when everything was dying because of the heat.) Or maybe it's because they know the life expectancy of their plants is less than one month. It doesn't really matter. I'll be going to Calloway Gardens or Bruce Miller Nursery to find replacements. So hopefully, one day soon Mr. Pig will once again look fabulous.

Nothing really to do with Mr. Pig, but the pansies have lasted a remarkably long time in their baskets this year. But it's time to replace them, as well. I'll have a lot of gardening to do next week.

No comments: