Monday, July 9, 2012

Sorry, We're ALL Closed

Last night in a fit of pique Mark said "you will never drag me out of Frisco before I eat again." Did I drag him out of Frisco? We went to a movie and then stopped by to visit with friends. It looked like it was going to storm and I said I'd like to go. We got in the car and he asked if I'd like to grab a bite to eat before we went home.

Me: Sure, I could eat.
Mark: I'm starving. Do you fancy La Hacienda?
Me: Hmmm, Mexican food is so heavy.
Mark: Well, what do you fancy, then?
Me: Not sure, is there anything else you'd like?
Mark: We could go home and get the Dickey's coupon and go there.
Me: We could do that, or La Hacienda is fine if that's what you'd like. I don't mind. Really.
Mark: Why don't we go to Dickey's?
Me: OK, let's do that.

Does this sound like I dragged him out of Frisco?? No. I didn't. It was his idea to leave Frisco. When we pulled into the drive, Mark ran into the house for the coupon and then we headed for Dickey's Barbecue. The parking lot looked remarkably empty. It was not open. It was Sunday. We had no idea what time they closed (assuming they were open at all) because the hours weren't posted on the door. I guess if you don't post them, it leaves you with pretty flexible hours. We already knew that Papa Gallo's was closed. That left Southern Kitchen, Lucy's, Jimbo's Pizza, Burger Fixins and McDonalds.

McDonalds was open but eliminated because it's not real food. (We classify it as "road food". You can only eat it if you're on a minimum three hour journey.) Jimbo's was eliminated because it is about the worst pizza on the planet. Burger Fixins was closed, Southern Kitchen was closed. Lucy's was our only hope. I could see that there were a couple of cars parked out front before I turned the corner. And when I turned the corner I could see the bright red neon sign -- "OPEN". But Mark could see the not so bright but really big sign on the door -- "CLOSED - Please come again".

And then he said it. "You will never drag me out of Frisco before I eat again."

Seriously, there are worse things than having to eat at home. Granted, it was too late to start preparing a meal. But we had a wide variety of cheeses in the fridge, plus hummus, pate, an assortment of olives, and crackers, all waiting for just this occasion.

No comments: