Monday, July 30, 2012

What's for Dinner???

I think I mentioned in a previous post that we like to try new things. While I pride myself on trying new things, I've been giving it a bit of thought and perhaps I'm not as adventurous as I'd like to believe. I don't really enjoy lamb, and I don't like meaty fish, or oily fish. So for the most part, we have chicken, beef, pork, turkey, mild whitefish or shellfish, or a vegetarian dish.

The trick is to cook the food in new and different ways! Since January, I've worked with a different cookbook each week, choosing a soup, a beef dish, a pork dish, a chicken or turkey dish, a fish dish and a vegetarian dish from each cookbook. So far this year we've tried recipes from 13 different cookbooks. The number is interesting because we don't actually do one cookbook per week. I suspect it's more like a week and a half, and this number confirms that. Tonight we had steak with tomato,cucumber and watermelon salad. It sounds really strange but it was AMAZING! The dressing consisted of olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, spring onion, mint and cayenne pepper! A bit of a bite! Fabulous!

Tomorrow we'll try a crab mornay recipe here at Nutty Acres. (We decided to call it that because we have pecan trees and we live on Walnut Street and "it's us". -- What would you call it?)

Bon Appetit!

No comments: