Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pondering Saint Michael

St. Michael's Mount is on the coast of Cornwall. What I find interesting is that on the other side of the channel, on the coast of Normandy is Mont Saint Michel. Essentially the same name - and very similar in appearance.

St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall
Mont St. Michel in Normandy
I was just wondering why there are two places that appear somewhat similar - (OK - I didn't get the camera angle quite right on the Cornwall shot) - and have essentially the same name on opposite ends of the English Channel. (Although I'm not sure whether St. Michael's Mount is considered to be in the Channel or in the Atlantic. But that's nitpicking and doesn't matter!)

A quick Google search provided me with no clues. Is this deliberate or coincidental? I know there are plenty of places named after St. Michael, but I'd be interested to know if there are more with a similar appearance to these two.

Anybody know anything about this?


No comments: