Friday, March 1, 2013

A Week in Northumberland

Some of my friends were envious when they learned we were about to spend a couple of weeks in England - in February. Others just laughed. And when I said we were spending one of those weeks up near the Scottish border, they stopped laughing and said "ooooh". (Except for a few who laughed even harder - you know who you are.)

I assume they were laughing because I don't particularly like cold. I admit I was somewhat envious of friends who were taking trips to Hawaii and the Virgin Islands. (You know who you are.) The north of England is cold in the summer time. We were in Manchester last year in June and people were wearing winter coats. (Not lightweight jackets - winter coats.) So my expectation was that it would be cold - very cold and that the area near the Scottish border would be even colder. Because I was expecting cold, damp and snow I took a heavy, water-repellant coat. Mark bought me a knit hat and gloves at Christmas specifically for this trip. The hat has huge pom poms and it makes me look ridiculous, but it keeps me warm. So do the gloves.

The wind blowing off the North Sea was even colder than the wind that blows off the lake in Chicago. But we didn't see any rain except for one afternoon when we were driving from Clacton to Hitchin (in the south). Actually, it was sunny for the first week.


So even though the sun wasn't shining that second week in Northumberland, it wasn't raining and that's always good. (At least in my book.) We based ourselves in Lowick, a small village and from there we explored the area. We went to Berwick-upon-Tweed, a walled city.

We also visited Kielder Water and Forest...

Seahouses and Holy Island...

and Bamburgh Castle.

And then just before we left, it snowed!!

No comments: