Tuesday, June 19, 2012

There's No Place Like Home

England was great. We had the full spectrum of English weather; sunny days, cloudy days, rainy days, warm days and cold days. Seeing the family was great and we had some interesting hotel stays. But it's almost time to go home. If only I had some ruby slippers, I could just click my heels...

But unlike Dorothy, I have to take a plane home. This time it's British Airways. They are sooooo much better than American Airlines. The food is edible. Forget all the jokes you've heard about British food. There is nothing wrong with the food served on British Airways. (By the way, there was nothing wrong with any of the food we had while we were in England.) There is plenty wrong with the food served on American Airlines - so much that I'm not even going there.

The BA flight attendants pass through the cabin with water and juice every couple of hours. The AA flight attendants retreat to the galley in the back after the meal service and you never see them again unless you make a point to go back there.

Only two complaints about BA. (You knew there had to be one or two.)

  1. If you happen to be in the loo when the captain turns on the seat belt sign, a flight attendant will knock on the door and order you back to your seat. (I am not in the loo for fun. I have business there and when it is finished, I will return to my seat. Thank you.)
  2. Taxes paid to Uncle Sam on "free (use your air miles)" tickets on AA are typically $200 per person (round trip). BA collects the tax for Her Majesty, which is nearly $800 per person. This high rate of tax will keep me on American whenever possible, which is unfortunate because BA really has better food and better service than AA.

No comments: