Thursday, April 9, 2020

Wasting Time

I'm aware that people are dying and I don't want to get disproportionately bent out of shape over some shoe boxes. Even though those boxes are standing between me and a perfectly organized closet and a bedroom floor that is free of shoes. It troubles my OCD soul.

But what really annoys me is that they wasted my time. I ordered on March 21st. On March 23rd I got the notice that my order had shipped and would be delivered on April 1st. Okay. I'm not going anywhere. I can wait. Then on April 1st it got to be past 6 so I checked the link they sent me. That indicated that the order would be delivered by 8 pm. Okay, I can wait. Then at 8:30 when I checked the link they sent me, I got a different message. "We're sorry. On the way but running late. Contact the shipper." - Which in this case they claimed was UPS.

Now the thing about UPS is that they can't help you without a tracking number, and I didn't have one. Amazon is short handed at the moment and they didn't answer the phone. The automated system advised me to contact the shipper. Apparently, the shipper should respond within 48 hours. At any rate, you can't request a refund for at least 3 days.

My best guess is that if there had actually been a shipment, they'd have been happy to give me a tracking number. They went immediately to refund after three days with no response to the request for the tracking number. Therefore I assume they never actually shipped it. They knew the day they told me I'd have it on April 1 that I would never see it at all. So I wasted 10 days waiting for it and another 3 to get the refund.

I figured I'd be clever and order it through Mark's Prime account so I could have next day delivery, but in those two weeks I was waiting for it the price went up. Significantly. From $88 to $115. So that plan didn't work either. I know they're price gouging on toilet paper but why are they raising the price of plastic shoe boxes?

Last night I ordered them from Bed Bath and Beyond. They say I'll receive them sometime between next Friday and the end of the month. In the meantime, I live with the disarray. (It bothers no one but me.) But I still don't understand why that Amazon seller felt it was okay to waste my time. I'm nearly 70, it's not an unlimited commodity.

No comments: