Thursday, August 16, 2018

Through the Window

At home nothing comes through the window except for bugs. But we weren't at home. We were in England and sitting in the upstairs of a pub with friends. It was unusually warm, so the windows were open. Ann and I saw our opportunity to sit by the window in the hopes of catching a breeze after some young ladies vacated the window seat. It was considerably cooler.

I got up to go to the ladies room and when I came back, I noticed something stuck in the window.

"Was that here when we sat down?"

Ann didn't think so. "That" was a bouquet of pink roses. I "unstuck" them and noticed that they'd been marked down - almost half their original price. Probably from the Tesco across the street.

But what were they doing up in the window? I assumed some lovelorn young man had tossed them up to the young ladies who'd occupied the seat before us.

The street below wasn't particularly crowded and it was relatively easy to spot a young man (rather dashing, I might add!) looking up and gesturing in a way that made me assume he had thrown the flowers. If he wasn't responsible, he intended to take the credit.

I can only assume that this young man was blind or crazed. I'm pretty sure I have shoes older than him. If he was talking, I couldn't hear him. He continued to gesture pointing to his eyes and then to mine. Then he turned and walked down the street. I have no idea what any of it meant.

It was unusual. And that's why I started freaking out. Who does that? Who buys roses, even reduced price roses, and throws them through an open window? Who throws flowers at random strangers?

Random killers! This was probably part of some weird gang initiation. See who takes the floral bait and then follow them home and kill them. I was tempted to leave the roses on the bus on the way home. But I didn't and I even managed to keep my wild imaginings to myself (at least until now).

We took them in, put them in a nice vase with some water and by morning they looked even better than they did the night before. And the best part?? No one died.



No comments: