Monday, August 27, 2018

A Quick Review

I hadn't intended to review any of the restaurants we visited during DFW Restaurant week. If that had been my intent, I'd have taken pictures of my food - because that is the centerpiece of the experience.

But I was thinking about the restaurants we visited and about which ones we would go back to and which ones offered a good value and just decided to share that info. I think there's another week left (Restaurant Week is more like Restaurant Month but some restaurants only participate in the first week.) If you're going, you need to look online to see the participation dates for the restaurant you want to go to. And once you get there, you will need to ask to see the restaurant week menu - it is not automatically offered. For those not familiar with Restaurant Week, it's a time when the restaurant offers a three course menu for a fixed price of either $39 or $49 (depending on their regular prices) with $10 of every meal purchased going to local charities. Most restaurants offer a selection for each course - typically a choice of salad or soup for the starter, and a beef, fish, pork or vegetarian for the main entree. Desserts vary from selecting something off the regular dessert menu to a taste of several desserts. I like to go because it gives you an opportunity to try a new place at a reduced price.

So, in the order we visited - here goes:

Silver Fox Steakhouse - This one gets my vote for the best restaurant week value. We go here several times throughout the year. They have happy hour pricing on drinks, but only if you're sitting in the bar area. They also bring out the most delicious pickles you'll ever eat - it's like a sweet pickle with horseradish. (You can also buy a jar of them.) They also have waiters taking platters of fresh tomatoes and spring onions around to diners. You can have as many as you like, and they'll keep bringing those pickles to your table, as well.  It was a good value because you couldn't buy the items on the menu for the fixed price. For starters, Mark had a salad and I had the soup. We both had the filet as the main course. I think the steak may have been a bit smaller than their regular menu offering, but that's okay because I couldn't really eat anymore than what I had. The steaks were served with mashed potato and snap peas in addition to the tomatoes, onions and pickles. I think the desserts may have been a bit smaller as well, and even though I had mine "to go" I wouldn't have wanted it any bigger than it was.

Dee Lincoln Prime - We'd never been to this establishment before. It was exceptionally good and we'll definitely go back. It's at the Frisco Star Center so the worst thing about it was parking. There are times when parking is great and other times when the Cowboys are having some kind of event. At those times, they try to siphon you off and direct you to places you don't want to go. But back to the restaurant - there are no happy hour specials no matter where you sit. Again, I had the soup starter and Mark had a salad. And again we both had the filet as the main course. The filet came with mashed potatoes and a couple of substantial asparagus spears. Again, we had the desserts to go. I don't think they "downsized" any of the menu items and again it was a good value because you couldn't buy the menu items a la carte for less than the fixed price. And the decor and design features in this restaurant are stunning. Plus the wine is served at the perfect temperature. (Getting that detail wrong is what put me off Capital Grill.)

Bonnie Ruth's - We go here regularly. I assumed that for restaurant week they would feature their more expensive menu items. But I was wrong. They featured four of their least expensive menu options. I wanted to have chicken, because I was feeling a bit "over beefed". The regular price on the chicken paillard is around $20. Add in $7 for the soup or salad and that leaves $12 for dessert. I'm not sure how much their desserts (which are exceptional) cost - but I wouldn't think they'd be much more than the starters. I wasn't feeling like I was getting a bargain. Yes. I understand that it's for a good cause. I know there are people who go to charity auctions and pay double the value of something because it's for charity. Good for them. I like to feel like a got some bang for the buck. Even if I'd selected the most expensive menu item on the restaurant week menu I wouldn't have felt like it was a good deal. We opted to order from the regular menu, skip the dessert and donate to the charity of our choice.

Perry's - We'd been here before for an anniversary celebration. On that occasion, I think we spent well over $200 and it was the same again even though I ordered from the Restaurant Week menu. I'm not sure whether they had any happy hour specials or not. Once again, I had the filet and Mark decided to order seafood from the regular menu. The salad was very good and the filet was regular size - I couldn't finish it. This one didn't come with any potatoes or vegetables at all. Those had to be ordered separately and were sized for two people at a price of roughly $12 per dish. We had Brussels sprouts and Lyonnaise potatoes - a good portion of which was boxed up with the beef and fish and served for lunch the following day.  While the food is very good, and the service is excellent - that could be said of every place we visited so I'm not sure that I'll be going back to Perry's, even for a celebration.

No comments: