Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A Day at Haleakala

Once again I was glad we had our own car. We were able to get out and look around when we got above the clouds.
You can drive to the top. There's still a short walk up (operative word here is up) to the best viewing point, but it isn't far, even for someone with an injured knee. I think the reason I was so impressed with this place is because it is just so different from anyplace I've ever been. Switzerland reminds you of Colorado. Places in England are reminiscent of places in New England and even Ohio. Lots of similarities between Wales and West Virginia. But Haleakala? It reminds me of another planet in a sci-fi movie. There may be another similar place on earth, but I haven't been there yet.

We went in the morning but not at dawn. Sunrise at Haleakala was a tour offered by the cruise line. I'm told it's worth getting up for. I suppose the advantage of the tour is that you can sleep until you get there. But again, the cost of the car is less than the cost of the tour for one person and you can go on your own time and stop at every wide spot in the road if you want to stop. Just know that it is cold up there - even in the afternoon. You don't need a parka - a sweater or sweatshirt will do.

Another advantage to taking your own car is that there are a winery and a lavender farm you can visit on your way back down. This is strictly hearsay - I didn't see them. But two different people told me they were there, so I guess I was just too busy gawking at the scenery to notice the signs.

Here are some pictures of Haleakala. All I can say is Wow. Just. Wow.







No comments: