Friday, September 18, 2015

Perhaps They WILL Spit in the Food

Years ago we were taken out for dinner in Manchester by Mark's grown children. After waiting for well over 30 minutes for a table we started to get a bit "antsy" about being seated. I'd gone to inquire and when I didn't come back with a suitable answer Mark was prepared to do battle. "Don't say anything, dad. If you complain, they'll spit in your food."

Well, we just couldn't believe it. Wouldn't believe it. People don't do that sort of thing. But then when we returned to Clacton, we booked a room at the Premier Inn on the seafront. It was a great room - queen size bed, sofa, desk, lighted makeup mirror. Elevator. Reasonably priced parking. It's brand new, nothing has been retrofitted. After being at the hospital all day we came back and found that we had no towels. I checked in the bathroom, on the closet shelf, and on the bed. No towels. During this check I also noted that the bathroom hadn't actually been cleaned. Toothpaste residue in the sink and the toilet needed brushing. As long as I had to go get towels, I felt I should mention the lack of cleaning.

"My bathroom wasn't cleaned, which I can live with - but I have no towels and I can't live with that. So if I could just get some towels..."

He didn't have any there so he brought them up.

The next day when we came back from the hospital, not only had our bathroom NOT been cleaned, someone had actually pooped in our toilet and left it for us. We were stunned. Management was summoned to the room. The housekeeping manager came and personally cleaned the bathroom. We were refunded for one night's stay. But we decided we'd be ahead to look for another hotel because we no longer felt safe in that one. Seriously. Who does that kind of thing? (The same people who spit in your food, no doubt.)

We learned that part of the "deal" when building that hotel was that they would be required to hire people from the local Jobs Center. My best guess is that some (if not all) of those people would rather be drawing a check and doing nothing and feel that brushing out a toilet or cleaning up toothpaste residue is beneath them. My suggestion to them is to get an education and acquire some skills that allow them to do work that is more to their liking.

No comments: