Thursday, May 28, 2015

Poopy Head

Although I often read the political articles people have provided links for, I try not to look at the comments and replies to comments. Almost always, you only get through about three posts before intelligence is thrown out the window and someone is engaging in name calling. If I've bothered to read the comments at all, this is where I stop.

Remember when you were a kid and a disagreement broke out and the kid who couldn't make a proper argument called the opposition a "poopy head"? Yes? Well now that kid's grown up and he (or she) still can't make a proper argument. So the old behaviors re-emerge - call the opposition a name. The worst name you can think of. Unfortunately, by the time you're in your twenties and thirties you can think of far worse things than "poopy head". 

There was a story that wasn't even overtly political. It was about something that someone had done for a homeless family. One of the comments was from a young lady who remarked that her family had been homeless when she was a teen and how much she would have appreciated such a gesture. And there it was, someone just had to call her a moron. Why?

It NEVER fails. I was reading a post about British politicians and scanning the comments. I got past the first three with no name calling. I thought that perhaps the British people are more intelligent than we Americans, or at least more civil. But then, there it was at the fifth comment. Seems they just take a bit longer to get to it.

To me, calling someone who doesn't share your ideology a moron, a libtard, a repug, or worse says far more about you than it does about them. What it says to me is that you don't have the intelligence to frame a sound argument. So why should I (or anyone else) bother to read what you have to say?

I'm so looking forward to the next presidential campaign. (NOT!!!)


No comments: