Sunday, January 4, 2015

Be It Resolved

That sounds so official. I tend to avoid traditional New Year's Resolutions and stick with goals. My resolutions are more like a To Do list. Last year it was my goal to see at least 24 movies, (which I did - no more, no less) read at least 12 books, (I think I got in 18) read the Bible (I read the Common English Bible with the Apochrypha and finished a few days before the end of the year.) Mission accomplished.

I'm planning to stick with those same goals for this coming year, but I wanted to add some others. I've been thinking about some loftier goals, but haven't figured out how to determine when they've been met. For example, I resolve to eat healthier. I resolve to drink more water. I resolve to be more organized. I resolve to be a better person. And these are just some of the reasons I'm not really in the habit of making traditional New Year's Resolutions.  Healthier than what? How much more water? How will I know I'm organized? How will I know I'm a better person?

It's taken me back to my days in corporate training. I'd meet with the manager requesting the training to determine what the objectives of the course should be. Invariably, they would say they wanted the course participants to "know" something. Well, fine. How will we know that they "know"? So if my goal is to be a kinder, gentler person - how will I know that I've met that goal? You see the problem?

So instead, I'm going to focus on things that are quantifiable. I'll try to drink eight glasses of water each day. (I've been told I need to drink 11 - but that's someone else's goal for me - mine is eight.) I'm going to clean out all the closets in the house by the end of June. (I've already done the one in the back bedroom.) Better, kinder, and gentler? I'll have to let you know.

No comments: