Friday, September 27, 2013

The High Price of Questions

Back on June 20th, I went to the emergency room. I was having muscle spasms in my back. It was uncomfortable, not life threatening. We drove past two other hospitals to go to Medical Center of McKinney because it had happened before and we assumed (wrongly, it seems) that they would just be able to look up what they had done before and do it again.

The itemized bill came in July. It came to $929.34 before the insurance company adjustments brought it down to $293.43, not including the separate charges for the doctor. But I looked at the things I was being billed for. It doesn't matter to me that "the insurance company is paying" because ultimately, I pay them. I don't want to be overcharged, no matter who is paying. So I'm mentally checking off the items, Drugs/Generic - $13.29. That must be the valium they gave me. A little high for one pill, but I guess you've got to pay the staff to bring it to you with a cup of water. Emergency Room,  2 Units - $496.00. Am I being charged for two rooms? I only used one room. I must ask about that. Pharmacy-General, 2 Units - $86.98. That must be the two injections I had before I left. (If we go back and look at my blog about that event, we see that I had to be somewhat insistent to get those.) Then there was Pharmacy-Other - $333.07. Surely that's not the charge for the band-aid they put on the injection site? Must ask about that one. When I called, no one was actually sure what was meant by 2 Units of Emergency Room, but since the charge wasn't unreasonable, I let it go. But then we got to the Pharmacy-Other charge. I was told that it was for one 4 mg Zofran tablet. Really? $333.07 for one pill? But here's the rub. All they gave me was one valium. And that didn't knock me out. Remember that I had to ask for the injections because I still felt pain. You would think that with a $300 pill, I wouldn't have needed any injections. The $300 ER bill wasn't unreasonable, it's just that I did not get any pill other than the valium. I was perfectly willing to pay the bill, but I questioned the pharmacy charge. The young man I spoke with advised me to request an audit of the charges. I agreed to request the audit of the charges because I was certain that they had charged that $300 pill to the wrong account.

So now here we are, a couple of months later and I've just received a letter from them, still insisting that I had the $300 pill that I didn't have AND a decision that an additional $1028.00 needed to be added to my bill because it was ER level 3 instead of ER level 2. (Now I know what the 2 Units meant.) This is crazy. I had the audacity to question a $300 pill so they've slapped me with an additional thousand dollars. I called them to let them know that I STILL didn't have that pill and to ask what Level 3 meant. The young man on the phone "understood" my frustration over the pill, but didn't actually know what constituted Level 3. So I asked him how many levels there were. He thought there were three total. So it would seem that in the auditor's estimation I went from uncomfortable to near death and should be charged an additional thousand dollars. (Someone in a Level 3 condition probably needs a $300 pill.) And just for the record, I think I was probably more of a Level 1 when I got there instead of a Level 2, so to be elevated to a Level 3 is pretty remarkable. I'm thinking that if Level 3 is the most serious, you should be covered in blood and/or in cardiac arrest.

Here's the bottom line. I was never unconscious. They couldn't have given me a pill ($300 or otherwise) without my knowledge and cooperation. They need to be looking at whoever had access to the pharmacy that night, but instead they have added a thousand dollars to my bill primarily because they can. I don't know whether the insurance company will roll over and pay them or not. I'm told that I have no recourse other than to go to the facility and ask to see my records. I'm not sure what difference that will make when they're going to insist that I was near death and had a $300 pill. I think $1000 is a high price to pay to ask a question.








No comments: