Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lunch at The Bread Bowl Cafe

On our drive from Manchester to Lowick, we stopped in the town of Richmond for lunch. Mark remembered eating at The Bread Bowl Cafe some 10 or more years earlier. He said it was good.

We went in and took a table. The waitress came and took our drink order and left us with menus. As you would expect in a place called "The Bread Bowl Cafe" the first half page of the menu was filled with soup and other items that came in a bread bowl. Then there were sandwiches and then a page of German specialties.

When the waitress came back, I inquired about the soup of the day.

"Potato Leek"

"Sounds good. I'll have the soup...in the bread bowl, please."

"We don't have any bread bowls."

"Okay, than I'll have it in whatever it comes in. I just thought that in "The Bread Bowl Cafe" I'd have it in a bread bowl."

"We've had difficulty sourcing the bread bowls."

Best to have left it at "we don't have any" - I was thinking that they made them in house and had just run out. Now that I know they are "sourced" I have suspicions about the soup.

My suspicions about the soup proved unfounded. The soup was obviously homemade and very tasty. It just wasn't in a bread bowl.

Mark said that he thought the place had probably changed hands. The furniture wasn't as nice as he remembered (although it had been longer than 10 years and things do get worn) and the huge coolers full of soft drinks hadn't been there before.

But the real clue came as we were leaving when the owner was explaining to another customer about the lack of bread bowls.

"They're impossible to source and a bloody nuisance to make. I'm going to have to change the menu and the name of the cafe. I'll probably change it to The Salad Bowl."

Perhaps she should add some salads to the menu.

No comments: