Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A Seasonal Business

The pool at our country club closes after Labor Day and doesn't reopen until after Memorial Day. It's actually a very short season when you consider that the weather in Texas is warm considerably longer than June, July, and August. Those are the same months that the Dairy Queen in North Eaton, Ohio used to be open when I was a kid. The assumption there was that people did not want to eat soft-serve ice cream in cold weather. I think the assumption with the country club pool is that it's primarily used by children and once they're in school, there's no need to keep the pool open. And since I don't really use the pool, I don't concern myself with it.

I've just been having some thoughts on why some things are considered seasonal and others are not.

For example, last week we wanted to visit Hatfield House. It's figured into a number of books I've read about Queen Elizabeth I. It is still owned by the Cecil family, and is home to the Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury. So I guess they are the people who have decided that the house should be operated like a Dairy Queen or a pool and close from November until Easter. I'm not sure what the assumption is but it seems to be common. Last year we wanted to visit Haddon Hall, in Derbyshire, but it was also closed until Easter. And several years ago we were in Whitby in February and the museum was closed until summer.

It makes no sense to me why museums and "stately homes" (which are really museums with people living in them) should be closed for the winter. I think they're missing a trick. I don't think people will track any more mud through than they do in April or May. I've been willing to part with money on three separate occasions only to be told to come back in the spring. I live in Texas, it's just not that easy.

No comments: