Monday, January 28, 2013

The Catalogs Have Arrived

I opened my post office box today to find that there was nothing in it except for one small yellow card that said I had too much mail to fit in the box.

I hate when that happens. And it happens all too frequently. My dad used to make the remark "The catalogs have arrived" when he noticed that the postman had stopped because their mailbox would be stuffed with catalogs - all addressed to my mother. And now look at me - I've become my mother. All of these catalogs arrived today for me.

Just look at them! I've even got two from Appleseed's. But they're different. Why don't they just have one bigger one? Do they save on postage and paper by sending me two? (I rather doubt it. And although I haven't looked, I'd be willing to bet that some of the same merchandise is featured in both catalogs.) There's even one called "Back in the Saddle". As you might expect, it is filled with things for people who either have, or are crazy about horses. I don't dislike horses, but let's just say that cats are higher on my list.

Keep in mind that this is what was delivered TODAY. Earlier in the week I got one from Home Decorators, two more from Draper's and Damon's, one more from the Tog Shop and one from FootSmart.

I know how it happened. I ordered one thing, one time and my name and address were sold to everyone in the world and I will remain on their mailing lists for all eternity. Some of them send me catalogs with a notice that "if you don't order this will be the last catalog you receive". If only that were true.

Most of them go straight into the recycle bin. Unless there's something I need or something specific that I'm looking for, keeping these things around is a source of clutter and I just don't have the time for it. But every now and again, I find the time and then I find the perfect sweater or jacket that no one else I know will have and my mailbox continues to be stuffed.

No comments: