Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

Last year I made a few New Year's Resolutions - to read an average of two books per month, to see an average of one movie per month and to read the New Testament. (By the way, I succeeded with all of those except the books - I got a bit behind when I encountered a really tough read and fell two books short of the goal.) A few people last year asked me why I bother with New Year's Resolutions. I guess I just really miss some mid-level corporate manager imposing nonsensical goals on me so I impose them on myself. But we've been quite busy so instead of making up completely new ones, I'm just going to modify the same ones I had last year. Here goes:
  1. I plan to read an average of one book per month. (I should be able to manage one per month easily since I was only two books short when the goal was two per month.)
  2. I plan to see an average of two movies per month. (It's easier to see a movie than read a book. I'll need to see a few more movies this coming year than I did last year, but I think I can manage.)
  3. In addition to reading the New Testament, I plan to read the books of the Apocrypha. (I'm already close to halfway through that, so it shouldn't be that difficult.)
  4. I also plan to take an average of one seminar per month so that I can learn to be better at what I do. (Okay, that one's completely new.)
You may think that I'm not setting any real challenges for myself - like losing weight or running a marathon. And while those are certainly worthy goals, I prefer to have achievable goals. Maybe I should make that "easily" achievable goals. I find that life is challenging enough without setting unachievable goals. I'll leave that to those corporate types...

No comments: