Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Can You Give Me a Hint?

I just got a call from Verizon wireless on my land line. They were actually calling for Mark but, alas, he wasn't here. (They should have called his mobile number!) But I offered to help. After all, I'm the one who handles the bills.

"Let me see if your name is listed on the account. Yes, here you are. Can you tell me the account password?"

"No. I have no idea. Can you give me a hint?"

"I can't."

"Can you tell me if it's letters or numbers? Maybe a name."

"I'm sorry, we're not allowed to tell. I can leave you our toll free number and Mr. Elliott can call back."

(Not allowed?? Really?) "Alright then. But tell me, is there a problem with the account or do you want to sell us something?"

"I just want to tell him about some promotions we're offering right now."

"I'm SURE he'll call you back as soon as he can."

(Yeah, that'll happen.) Little Miss Perky "Not Allowed" rattled off the toll free number, which I did NOT write down. I just don't think I should have to know a password to be annoyed by a telemarketer. I understand they want to prevent an unauthorized person from making changes to our account. But I didn't call them, they called me. What are the odds that someone broke into my house and tied me up with the intention of answering my phone and buying everything that every telemarketer was selling? Besides, I know Mark well enough to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't know the password without a hint.

No comments: