Monday, September 24, 2012

How Socks Escape

Last Friday I did some laundry. I know - I lead a really exciting life. But since I can't afford to buy clothes and toss them after I've worn them, doing laundry is just one of those necessary things. And I'm not sure how they do it, but socks seem to disappear in the process. Socks who've lost their mates make great dust cloths, but there's a limit to the number of dust cloths that are needed. Having more than my quota of dust cloths, I started buying only white socks - in packages of six. That way, when socks disappeared I would still be able to match them up.

But then in May, I had a DSW coupon for $10 and not finding the shoes I wanted, I decided to buy socks before the coupon expired. Brightly colored socks! Yellow, pink, purple, blue and green! But let's get back to Friday's laundry.

As I folded the clothes and matched up the socks, I noticed a purple sock was missing. "I'm missing a sock." Without even looking up from his iPad, Mark remarked that he'd seen one along the side of the road. Of course he did. We all see socks along the side of the road. You wonder how they got there. Jerry Seinfeld even did a bit about how socks try to escape. Click here to watch it.

I rechecked the dryer and the laundry room floor. No purple sock. It will either turn up or I'll have a very colorful dust cloth. Either way, it's time to get ready to go out. We're going to meet up with some friends we haven't seen in a couple of months. We're going to Lavendou, so we need to be on the dressier side of casual. I wore cotton pants with an embellished tee shirt. Mark wore khaki pants with a tee shirt and a button down shirt over it left unbuttoned.

We had a great evening. Great food. Great company. When we arrived back home, Mark asked, "Sit on the porch?" It's what we do most evenings - sit on the back porch in our rockers, listen to music and admire our garden. A perfect end to a perfect evening. In response to his question, I reached out to give him a hug. I reached inside the button down shirt and noticed a strange lump inside his tee shirt. "What is that?" I pulled his tee shirt up and there was my purple sock!

"How did you not notice there was a sock inside your shirt?? This could have fallen out anywhere!! This is how socks end up on the side of the road!!!"

One mystery has been solved. But here's my advice to you when you've lost a sock - hug your husband. You'll find what you're looking for and you might even find your missing sock.

No comments: