Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I'm Sorry Mom

I'm sorry Mom. I know you taught me better and I've always followed the rule up until this year. Even though "the crowd" and the "experts" have been saying it's okay for years, I knew in my heart that it wasn't. And I didn't do it...until this year.

I admit it. I wore white after Labor Day. I just wasn't ready to put my white pants or white sandals away. In my defense, it's still in the 90s here in Texas. I know it's wrong, but I did it anyway. I'm sure that if I still lived in Ohio, such a thing would never have happened.

I still remember when Princess Diana visited Houston all those years ago and wore white shoes after Labor Day. She was a fashion icon. I didn't care. I was appalled. What kind of upbringing did she have? I couldn't believe that no one told her. Everyone knows the rule! When I worked at Sun, we ("we" meaning the women on the team) were having a discussion about it. One of the men was listening in. He didn't believe that there was such a rule. He went home that evening and asked his wife. He came back the next day marveling that his wife knew all about it. "How do all women know this?" Easy -- our mothers teach us.

It doesn't matter what the fashionistas say. Search the web and you'll find thousands of listings to inform you on "how" to wear white after labor day. Mom's way was easier - just don't.

Fashion has not changed. If you don't believe me, perhaps you'll believe Kathleen Turner in this clip from "Serial Mom".

No comments: