Tuesday, June 11, 2019

An Emotional Time

A week ago today I played in the Hurricane Creek Member Guest Tournament for the last time - at least as a member. That was my last hurrah. I resigned my membership after 36 years of being a member. I'd seen so many others come and go - it was my intention to outlast them all. I'd stubbornly held on to that membership even though I probably didn't play more than six times last year and the tournament was probably only the second or third time I'd played this year. But it was time to let it go. Past time really.

I also closed down my post office box. I'd had the PO Box for 36 years. Who would think that closing a post office box would make you nostalgic? I also closed down my safe deposit box. Took everything out and put it in a fire box for safekeeping - except for the stuff that went straight into the trash. I looked at some of the stuff in there and wondered why anyone ever thought it should go in a safe deposit box. But then it is possible that no one had actually looked in that box since 1988.

And it's not just me. Mark is feeling it, too. We've put a lot of ourselves into our house. My diva closet, our over-the-top laundry room. Our flower garden and patio. I know that not everyone appreciates the wallpaper - I get that wallpaper is "out" now. But it goes in my house. It just looks right - at least to me. I replaced it last year. (I knew it needed replacing sooner, but it took me six years to find the colors and pattern I'd be happy with because we had no intention of leaving.)

But the most difficult thing by far this week was saying good-bye to our neighbors, Willie and Arleatha. You see, Willie officiated at our wedding and Arleatha sang. We were married in our back yard in 2006. (Another reason it's hard to leave that house.) They were already living in their house when I moved into mine back in January of 1983. And while I can't say we were close, as in at each other's houses all the time, it was good just knowing you had a neighbor you could count on.

But it's time for us to move on to a new chapter in our lives. One where Mark feels better. A chapter where we can both focus a bit more on ourselves - our health and well-being. We'll be looking for a house that's a bit lower maintenance. We'll most likely join a new golf club - one that we can drive a golf cart to rather than taking 30 minutes in a car. And I really hope we have nice neighbors.




No comments: