Friday, December 16, 2016

Suspension of Disbelief

The term suspension of disbelief or willing suspension of disbelief has been defined as a willingness to suspend one's critical faculties and believe the unbelievable and sacrifice realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment. 

Most days I'm willing to do this while watching films. Absolutely essential if you want to enjoy the movie. I'm willing to believe that there was a battle between good and evil that lasted for generations long, long, ago in a galaxy far, far away. But every now and again, a movie crosses the line. That's what happened with Allied.


There were just too many things that were unbelievable. For instance,London hospitals did not move people outside during air raids. But if they'd stopped with a child being born outside in the middle of an air raid, I might have been able to continue my suspension of disbelief. But they didn't stop there. They wanted me to believe that people in WWII London opened the curtains at night when they put their children to bed. They wanted me to believe that people were having parties in their gardens at night during the Blitz. They wanted me to believe that if they suspected an officer's wife of espionage that they would actually inform that officer and let him in on the "test" they were going to run. And did they think I'd believe that if the spouse was found guilty that the officer would have to execute her himself? Nope. Too much to take in. And then Mark pointed out that the cars of those days had a more complex start up routine than just turning the key. I don't remember the name of the guy in the credits who was in charge or research, but I think he must have been sleeping on the job. I'd have been too embarrassed to allow them to use my name. 

On the positive side, the costumes were fabulous. Especially the outfits worn by the heroine in Casablanca. I'm specific here because once the story line moved to London, the heroine's wardrobe turned a bit frumpy. Not sure why - but it sure was noticeable. 

And on top of all that, the ending wasn't especially happy. Unless you're really into costumes or you just really like to watch Brad Pitt make out with somebody, there's really not a good reason to go see this one. 


No comments: