Monday, March 16, 2015

In Praise of Recliners

When Mark and I first got married he had a suggestion or two for updating the living room. I'm cool with that. I think the new window treatments are a big improvement over the simple valance and blinds that were there before. And I was quite happy to spend an entire week doing a faux finish paint job. But when he suggested replacing the recliner with a different type of chair I nearly turned into Martin Crane. Remember Martin Crane's recliner on Frasier? Here it is, complete with dog and duct tape.
I didn't always feel this way. In fact, I was reluctant (reluctant is probably an understatement) to get a recliner in the first place but now that I have it, I'll probably always have one. Even though we don't typically use it on a daily basis, it is perfect if you have congestion. It keeps you upright enough so that you can breathe. It's also perfect if you have a nosebleed. It keeps you tipped back just enough to keep the blood in your nose. And if you have vertigo, you can get up without tilting your head to one side or the other - which can make the room start spinning. It's better than one of those adjustable beds when you have the flu or if you're recovering from some type of surgery or hospitalization. You have choices - you can watch TV or you can sleep. In other words, it's the perfect "sick room" in a compact size.

Given that in the past month, I've had a head cold, vertigo, two massive nosebleeds, the flu and knee surgery, I can't imagine how I would have managed without that recliner. The only thing that chair couldn't do was elevate my knee above my heart. (That took three pillows.) But if it starts to look like Martin Crane's chair, I'll be looking for a replacement.


No comments: