Thursday, March 12, 2015

Better Every Day

I saw the doctor yesterday. I'd had a full day - a meeting with my CPA, lunch out with Mark, and then the post-op appointment. After waiting in the doctor's reception area for nearly 40 minutes (fairly unusual) I was becoming a bit grumpy and irritable. I told the receptionist that I didn't mind if they took another hour as long as I could wait in a horizontal position. I just couldn't remain upright any longer.

And that seems to be how it goes right now. I tire so easily. After being busy for a couple of hours, I find I need to go prop my feet up for a couple of hours - maybe even have a snooze. It's fairly annoying because I can't seem to get much done. It's also boring. I love to read, but there's just a limit to how much I want to read on any given day. As for TV - there's really not much I'm interested in watching and there's no reason to get sucked into some program now.

But the doc says that getting tired is to be expected. General anesthesia has that effect on people. The pain pills extend the effect. (I haven't taken any of those since Sunday, so hoping it eases up soon.) He also showed me the pictures of the inside of my knee. (Not as gory as I expected.) I'm told there's very little arthritis in my knee - so to those clowns and quacks I saw back before the pain in my knee got serious, and who told me I had "garden variety arthritis" and I should learn to live with it, I say "poo-poo to you". They clearly had no clue and no interest in getting one.

I'm told that once the swelling goes completely down and I've been through the physical rehab therapy that I will have the knee of a 25-year old. It looks like I'll be doing rehab three times a week for four weeks -and since I was expecting six weeks - this is a bonus! I'm meeting with the physical therapist later today for an evaluation and so she can tell me what I should do at home to improve progress.

All I can say is that I thought I'd be ready to start training for a marathon by now and while it's a bit disappointing that I'm not ready for that, I think the prognosis is much better than I thought it would be. And I am feeling just a bit better every day.

No comments: