Thursday, September 4, 2014

That Tired Look

I might have looked worn out and tired because I'd been fretting over the lost bag. Or it could have been that I hadn't used any moisturizer in four days.

I didn't buy any right away because I had to do the first "lost baggage essential shopping" in Clacton and there was no Sephora, no Ulta, no Mary Kay rep and not even a full-size department store. The only department store was Marks and Spencer, but it's one of the smaller ones - no cosmetics. Just underwear, outerwear and food. (All regular sizes - nothing for short people.) We bought underwear and socks and a couple of shirts because at this point we were convinced that our baggage was only delayed and that it would be waiting for us in Manchester,

For cosmetics, I had to go to Boots - which is essentially like CVS or Walgreens - but with brands I'm not familiar with. Eyeshadow and blush are not critical. - any brand will do. Foundation is more important, but cleansers and moisturizers, fall into the very important category, at least as far as I'm concerned. At the time, I didn't buy any because I thought that one day or maybe two at most without it wouldn't do as much harm as an inferior product. Although if they'd had a travel-size Neutrogena cleanser, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. It was the one brand I recognized.

I looked around. Mark was with me, but he really wasn't much help with the cosmetics. (No experience whatsoever!) I squirted a bit of one foundation on to my hand to see if the color was a good match. I don't remember what brand it was but it was thick and heavy and felt like concrete. There were no tissues anywhere to get it off. I was holding my hand up and away from me to make sure I didn't get any of it on my clothes - especially since I didn't have many clothes at this point.

I found some tissues at the counter, as well as a lady who looked like she might be able to help. She informed me that she could help me, but only with the number seven. Number seven? It turns out that No. 7 is the Boots store brand. I later learned that it is much better than most of the other brands carried in the smaller Boots stores, but not as good as the premium brands carried in the larger stores. But she was able to do the color match and I got set up with the basics I'd need not to look like a Zombie until I got to Manchester.

Although she was quite helpful, she did not understand why I was not familiar with No. 7. She told me the brand was now available in America. I know they sell the Boots brand in Target. They're trying to pass it off as some kind of premiere English brand. It's good quality stuff, but who gets excited over a drugstore brand? According to the lady at the cosmetic counter, Boots products, such as No. 7 are now all available in Walgreens. Not someplace I typically go - (CVS is far more convenient) - and not a place where I shop for cosmetics although I've been known to pick up a lip-liner or something similar if I'm in there for something else.  But I'm digressing, the foundation is actually very nice and the cheap foundation brush is working out just fine, too.

But let's get back to that moisturizer. Claire was kind enough to take me shopping in Manchester on Sunday. The stores are big enough to have Petite Departments and even the Boots store has Lancome, Clinique, and other brands that I'm familiar with. The young lady at the Benefit counter slathered my face in moisturizer immediately. While it felt a bit greasy, Claire said it didn't look greasy. I think she was being kind because when I used her phone to call Mark, it was coated in "grease" when I finished with it. I am now convinced that moisturizer is truly meant to be under foundation rather than over it. No exceptions.

I was able to get a travel-size kit that should do me until I get home since I now fear that I will not get my luggage until I get home. I also bought a couple pairs of pants and a few more tops. And of course, more underwear. That will probably do while I'm in Paris and maybe into Zurich, although I'm guessing that for Zurich I may need a sweater or two. Of course when we get to Italy, it will probably be hot. Just think of the lovely European wardrobe I'm going to have. And I'll have British Airways to thank for it!





No comments: