Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Eggs, Pastels and Pretentiousness

If you think that eggs and pastels have something to do with Easter, you've not been to the Westin Hotel in Memphis.

They had a "pastel of egg" on the breakfast menu. This was new to me. Even though I don't eat eggs for breakfast I still wanted to know what a "pastel of egg" is. The waitress told me it is just eggs and sausage or bacon. What's "pastel" about that?

Feeling that there must be a bit more to it, I Googled it. Pastel of egg. Turns out that in this usage "pastel" refers to a pastry and the plural is pasteles. Hmm, I think I have heard of those. But it certainly isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word pastel. So why didn't the waitress tell me that it was eggs and sausage or bacon in a pastry? I think it was because the menu was a bit pretentious. As in "let's serve relatively ordinary food and give it a pretentious description". I mean, who hears "pastel" and doesn't think of pale pinks, blues, greens and yellows?

But this particular menu also had "cinnamon-scented oatmeal". Indeed. How do they get it to smell like cinnamon unless they've put cinnamon in it? See what I mean about pretentious?

No comments: