Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bait and Switch

The first night on board they had those gals who work in the spa posted by the elevators working hard to sell the spa services. I looked at the spa "menu" and nearly died of sticker shock. In the end it came down to "I'm a Dallas girl. We just don't pay $200 for a massage."

"How much you pay?"

"Whatever the Groupon is for. Certainly no more than $75. Ever."

They pointed out to me that I was on a ship, like this explains the high price. Actually it does explain it, but it's still not something I absolutely must have. I was perfectly willing to walk away. So they cut a deal. Not for a massage, but for a facial. $62 for a facial and a collagen eye treatment. At home I can get a facial for about $35 or $40 and that's without a Groupon. But after all, I am on a ship. I agreed, they scheduled the appointment for the following day at 4:30 PM, gave me a card to remind me of my appointment time and sent me on my way.

The next day when I arrived at the spa, I was asked WHICH facial I wanted and was shown a menu of facials with prices ranging from $103 on up.

"The price was supposed to be $62 and the eye treatment was to be free."

"No, you misunderstand. The eye treatment is $62 but you are getting it at no charge with the facial."

"That's not what she told me last night. The total was $62 - it included the facial and the eye treatment."

"But you are on a ship. (Even though she pronounced it "sheep", I knew what she meant.

I didn't know why that kept coming up. "I am well aware of where I am. But okay. I'll pick one. But understand that when I go home and write a review on TripAdvisor that you will be dinged for this. You will be dinged hard. I did not misunderstand. I suspect that I may have been deliberately misled, but I did not misunderstand. In fact, you know what? We don't need to do this at all. I can just go and consider this a waste of 30 minutes and we'll call it done."

Now the tune changes. "I want you to be happy. I want you to be happy with me and I want you to be happy with the service I provide. If price is the problem, I can fix for you."

Well yes. Price is the problem. The real problem is that you told me one price and then tried to tell me a different price when I got there. That is always a problem in my book. We came to a new agreement for $69 that would include a facial and the eye treatment. 

I was happy. Not happy enough to tip over and above the tip that was already added, but I was happy. When I got back to the stateroom with my incredibly soft skin, all Mark wanted to know was "What took you so long?"

"We had a bit of a problem with the pricing..."




No comments: