Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Quest for Affordable Healthcare - Part 8

I felt pretty good about going on holiday. Although I knew it was important to resolve the healthcare issue, I have an American Express travel policy that covers health care expenses when I'm more than 50 miles away from home. So before we left, I had a talk with God about the problem. I also exchanged some emails and voice mails with Gene, my long-suffering and very patient insurance agent. I also had an exchange, (skirmish might be a better word) with the federal employee assigned to handle my "complaint".

I'm not sure what happened, or how it happened and I'm certainly not going to ask too many questions - but yesterday I got a "welcome" email from Cigna. I tried to establish a login id and password just to see if they had me signed up for the right policy, but I was unable to do it. No choice but to phone. Toll free numbers aren't toll free when they're dialed from outside the United States. But I was very eager to resolve the issues, so didn't mind paying the charges.

The wait time was minimal. I was able to establish that they have me down for a silver policy and even though they seemed to have a credit card and a bank account on file, they had not charged either account. I authorized the charge. I was given a policy number and a payment confirmation number. I asked if it could start on March 1 since I'd already made other arrangements for February. I was warned that any changes would have to be sent back through "The Marketplace". Well, no. I would rather pay five premiums for the same month than have to deal with them again.

I believe this saga is over. I have made the March 15th deadline and my premiums will be about $30 per month less than what I'm paying now. My copays will be about the same but my deductible should be a bit smaller. I'll just have to wait and see on prescription drugs. I am much relieved. Thank God I didn't have to involve any of my "elected" representatives. As soon as I can print off a card, I'll be ready to do the "happy dance".

No comments: