Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Legacy Kingscliff

Since the Chudleigh (where we stayed in February) had no vacancy the night we wanted to stay there, we were forced to find another place. We settled on the Kingscliff, and quite frankly after staying at the Esplanade and the Comfort Hotel, our expectations were not high.

We were most pleasantly surprised. Even though there is no elevator, there were strong young men available to carry the bags up and down the stairs - a level of service that is usually reserved for properties at the very top of the market, yet the Kingscliff is moderately priced.

Our room overlooked the North Sea, which is always pleasant to look at when you wake up in the morning - even if it is cold and rainy, which thankfully, it wasn't (as you can see from the photo). The room was spacious by European standards and had free wifi. It was also clean and nicely decorated.

A full English breakfast was included. It should be noted that I don't do "full" English. I only want "half". For instance, I instruct them to leave off the egg, sausage, and black pudding. I'll have the bacon, baked beans, mushrooms, and tomato. I'll have the potato if there is any and I'd rather have toast than fried bread. When the waiter discovered that I'm American, he assumed (correctly) that I like my bacon crispy. (Well, yes! I do!) I told him not to worry because I know how difficult it is to get English bacon to fry up crispy. He told ME not to worry. I was amazed! The bacon was remarkably crispy! And I didn't think it could be done.

Bottom line, the Chudleigh is nice, but it doesn't have sea views. The Chudleigh is a guest house while the Legacy Kingscliff is a full service hotel - not to mention the Kingscliff is closer to Mark's dad's house. I think we've finally found THE place to stay.

No comments: