Monday, April 8, 2013

No Taste

I have no taste. I also have no sense of smell. And when you can't taste or smell your food, you aren't really motivated to eat. I don't believe I've tasted any of the food I've eaten since last Wednesday. I was feeling fine after I had the steroid shot. And then I guess it wore off, but that's a long and boring story. Let's talk about food.

Friday we went to the Oklahoma Girls State Gymnastics Meet. (By the way, Brianna did very well - she placed 2nd on balance beam, 4th on bar and vault, and 3rd place all around.) Mark and I shared a Subway sandwich. I'm not sure why I insisted on the Chipotle dressing. I couldn't taste it. After the meet, we had birthday cake before heading back home. I couldn't taste that either. By the time we got home, it was 9 PM. We put together an antipasto plate with Sicilian Mozzarella balls, prosciutto, ham, salami, olives, and cheeses. It was all wasted on me. I'd been craving a V-8 all day - but I couldn't taste that, either. 

Because I had plans to take my granddaughters out for a day of tea, shopping, makeovers and other girly things to celebrate their birthday, I was hoping that Saturday would find my taste buds restored. But no. I could neither smell nor taste the bacon I had for breakfast. We went to The Chocolate Angel in Plano for lunch. We had white tea infused with mango, pineapple and papaya. It sounded lovely. It tasted like hot water. I didn't bother adding any sugar - I didn't think it would make any difference. Each plate had an assortment of goodies. A quiche, cucumber sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, a little pastry that had bacon in it and a chicken and coconut concoction in a mini crust. (Tonya was raving about that one even though she doesn't really like coconut. I'm sure I would have loved the taste, but all I had to go on was texture.) And let us not forget the berry scone. It is not tea unless there is a scone! I sampled everything to see if I could taste anything, but I couldn't. Then the dessert plate came out - an almond cookie, a frosted sugar cookie and a piece of fudge. And I still couldn't taste a thing.

We went home so the girls could change into some of their new clothes before going out for dinner. We went to Bonnie Ruth's because they have a nice selection of food (things that even the pickiest eaters like) and a wonderful patio, and the weather was perfect for al fresco dining.  I passed on the seafood crepes and the filet because it's just too much money to spend for something you can't taste. Instead, I had the chicken paillard - primarily because there's enough of it to take half of it home. (Hopefully by the time I get ready to eat it for lunch my taste buds will have returned to full-function mode.) We came home to birthday cake, which I found really easy to skip. (And if you thought that "No Taste" referred to the woman in the fluorescent orange skirt and black and white referee shirt - aren't you surprised?)

Sunday was no better. Mark and I made bacon and eggs and pancakes. Plus the donuts and yogurt that didn't require any preparation. And my taste buds were still failing. 

We went to Pappa Gallo's Mexican Cantina for lunch. I ate chips and salsa, again without tasting a thing. And I ordered tortilla soup. I know it's good because I've had it before. But I still couldn't taste a thing. 

Neither of us wanted to cook on Sunday evening. Quite frankly, I didn't want to eat, either. So Mark had some nibbles and I drank water. 

I'm planning lasagne for this evening. But given that I couldn't taste my breakfast again, I'm not getting that excited about dinner.

 


No comments: