Monday, November 19, 2012

An Alarming Weekend

We don't do intense grandparenting that often, so I was happy to volunteer to spend the weekend looking after the three grandkids in Oklahoma while my son took his wife away for the weekend to celebrate her birthday. There was no way we could arrive there before they left on Friday morning so we just planned to arrive about an hour before the kids got home from school. I was armed with knowledge. I knew where the key was. I knew what the security code was. And there would be a checklist in the kitchen for everything else.

We pulled into their drive around 2:40. Just about an hour before the kids are due home from school. Right on target. Except last Friday was "Expiration Friday". This was important to me because I trade options. And I needed to make sure that I had minimized or eliminated the possibility of an unprofitable call out on my positions. I was making that last trade as we pulled into the drive. It really wasn't possible at that moment for me to shut down the computer and restart once we were inside. The markets were going to close in 20 minutes and I couldn't risk a connectivity issue. I was almost finished. I could complete the trade in the car and then I'd be done. Mark set off to retrieve the key from the designated location. I was double-checking my positions when all hell broke loose.

The alarm had gone off in the house! I hadn't given Mark the security code. I didn't know he was going in. I only thought he was getting the key. Mark came back to the car and was going off with the same intensity as the alarm. I gave him the code and he disarmed the alarm. We took our bags (one for clothes - one for electronics) into the house. Before I could even set them down, my cell phone was ringing. It was my daughter-in-law. Had we set off the alarm? Hadn't we been given the code?

Yes and yes. I hadn't given Mark the code. My bad. But I didn't know he was going in. I thought he was retrieving the key and coming back to the car so we could go through the side door. But it seems the back door was closer and he opened it. It also seems that the alarm is programmed to go off immediately if anyone enters the back door. No delay to enter the code. If you enter through the back door, it is assumed you are up to no good, even if you have a key.

What I didn't know is that the alarm company had called their home number to see if everything was okay. Of course we didn't answer because we didn't hear it. We were either trying to turn it off or we were outside getting our bags. But just because we didn't answer, the alarm company was still not prepared to send in the SWAT team. They called my son's cell number. Which brings us back to why my daughter-in-law called. They were in an awkward position. They couldn't confirm that we were at the house. The last time they spoke with us, we were about 20 minutes away. The timing was right for us to be at the house, but they couldn't say for sure. Now that they had answers they were able to call the alarm company back, confirm that it was a false alarm and we were all fine. Until the next day.

The next day we took the kids out shopping and to a movie and then to Outback Steakhouse. A great day! And when we got in, I dutifully set the alarm to "Security:Night" as I was instructed to do. I realize now that this is something you do just before you go to bed, not when you're "in" for the evening. I came to this realization after one of the kids decided to go into the garage to get a popsicle out of the freezer. Again, the alarm company called the house. But this time, I could hear the phone. I answered it, explained that it was just one of the kids wanting a popsicle, gave them the "security word" and identified myself to their satisfaction. Another false alarm.

We got through the rest of the night without incident. But then the next day as we were leaving to take the kids to lunch, they all ran to the door with great enthusiasm. Then they opened it without disarming the alarm. It scared the daylights out of them and they all ran back down the hall while Mark disarmed the alarm system. It did not occur to me to wait until the security company called to confirm that all was well. I am not accustomed to waiting around for people to make sure that everything is okay. We were barely out of the driveway when my daughter-in-law phoned and told us we needed to go back to the house because the security company had called her and the doors were open and the cats were outside and about to be eaten by coyotes. We turned at the first side street. By the time we got back to the driveway, I was able to explain what had happened and reassure her that the doors were indeed closed and that the cats were safely inside. At this point, I am certain that she and my son thought that Mark and I were too old and too technologically inept to manage the security system (and possibly the kids). My ears were burning. So were Mark's. And perhaps they're right. And I don't care. Because now I am convinced beyond the shadow of a doubt that those things are probably more trouble than they are worth and I don't want one in my house.

So all of you telemarketers out there who call me on a daily basis offering me a "free" security system, now hear this: You couldn't PAY me to take it. And woe to the next one who calls.

But if you think I'm unprotected, think again. I've got a really cool Smith & Wesson - blue steel with Pachmayr grips, and it's loaded.

No comments: