Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Those Annoying Food Bloggers

I like to cook and I like to try new recipes. Pinterest is a great source of new recipes and just about everything we've tried has been delicious. But it's not without issues.

The primary issue is "the food blogger". I feel like Joe Friday on the old Dragnet series - "just the facts ma'am". I want the recipe. I don't care how much your husband loves this recipe. I don't care that your children who are usually such picky eaters just love this recipe. I don't care what the weather was the day you made it. I don't need to know every thought that entered your head the day you made this recipe. And I don't want to subscribe to your blog so I "never miss a recipe". I only want "this" recipe. (Although if you have suggestions for accompaniments - in the case of entrees - I'm all ears.)

And to make matters worse, the really popular food bloggers have so many ads popping up on their page that it's difficult to scroll through to the recipe. If the recipes were always at the end, you could just fast track to the end, but the recipe can be anywhere within the blog. I think they mix it up just to keep you on the page. But it's hard to scroll when you have ads popping up in the sidebars, at the bottom and in the middle - many of them videos. I assume these food bloggers are making a living from blogging. (Good for them, I am not even making pin money - you will note the absence of ads on my blog. And I'm okay with that.)

Then you see a Print Recipe button. You think you have found it at last. But when you click on it, you don't actually get the recipe, you get something that's trying to replace your search bar. It is NOT a shortcut to the recipe. It is a shortcut to disaster. (And I thought Bing was bad!)

I am starting to think that finding new recipes in magazines is probably a better option for me than wading through all that babble online.


No comments: