Thursday, December 28, 2017

Ugly Chairs

When we first got an RV, we took four chairs out of the shed and stashed them in the RV. You know the type - they fold up and fit in a little bag with a strap so you can carry them easily. They cost $10 or less. They're the ones everyone takes when instructed to "bring a chair" - you'll find them lining the sidelines at kids' soccer games.

Those chairs survived the first year. Then, when we got to Colorado the following year I asked Mark to get the chairs out and guess what? He hadn't brought them. It seems he didn't like them. He didn't think they were particularly comfortable. While all of that is undoubtedly true - they were a bit more comfortable than sitting at a picnic table, which Mark seems content to do.

However, I need back support - and a way to elevate my feet. A picnic table does not fill those requirements. We went out to look for chairs (among other necessities) and found a couple of rocking chairs on sale at Tractor Supply. They never fit in the hold of the RV but had to be stowed on the bed of the truck. And for some reason, they seemed to stay in the truck even if we weren't on the road.

But then when we bought the new RV, the fifth wheel, the hitch had to be installed in the bed of the truck. Alas, the chairs had to come out. I assumed that he'd put them in the hold.

I assumed wrongly. We arrived in Florida with no chairs. (Seems he wasn't keen on those rockers, either.) Such chairs are a seasonal item in many places, even in Texas, I believe. But I didn't expect them to be seasonal in Florida. But they did not exist in Wal-Mart or in Dick's Sporting Goods. (Dick's had beach chairs, but no "camp" chairs. Beach chairs are okay on the beach, but not anywhere else.) A visit to Camping World was called for but the nearest one was well over 60 miles away. We ended up at a Bass Pro Shop instead.

I was in luck! They had the gravity chairs on sale. That just seemed perfect for me. They were blue but I didn't care so much about color as comfort. Our previous chairs had been red and those fold up things had been blue. But then Mark thought the gravity chair was too big for the hold. We would need to find something smaller. He started sitting in all the chairs - it seems that the man who was happy to sit at a picnic table had suddenly become interested in comfort.

And then he found the chair - well constructed, comfortable, plenty of support and ugly.

Not everyone will find them ugly, but I do. The fabric is camouflage. I hate camouflage. Unless you're hunting or in the military you don't need camouflage. I have no aspirations to be a Duck Commander. None. And I am going on the record as not liking the chairs. They were even more expensive than the gravity chairs. I probably had to pay extra for the camo fabric.

But I have hit on a way to free up some room in the hold. It won't be this trip - but I will get my gravity chair yet. And it will be tasteful, not camo.


No comments: