Thursday, August 24, 2017

I Gotta Wear Shades!

I probably had the same sunglasses for 20 years. Then several years ago, I dropped them on the sidewalk and a bit fell off the frame. Darn it! I loved those glasses. I don't think I ever changed the prescription - but I could always see. I wore them everywhere! England. Greece. France. Ohio. - Gucci - sort of a lavender frame with a smoky purple lens.
I guess after all those years, the plastic was a bit brittle. Bottom line, I had to get new ones. I went for a pair of tortoise shell Ralph Lauren sunglasses. I hadn't worn them a month when I had to go back in to have them refitted. They just kept getting too big to stay on my face. After the third round of taking them back to be refitted, I decided that they should just replace them with something else because I didn't want to take the time to go to the mall every two weeks to have them adjusted.  Just too many other things I wanted to do. So I found a different pair. Similar look to the Ralph Lauren glasses but without the logos or price tag. But they also didn't need to be adjusted every two weeks.
But the problem was that the lenses had some kind of protective coating on them (that I no doubt paid extra for) that was crystallizing and making it difficult to see. Of course, this problem didn't develop within the first few months and when I took them back to complain, I was told that this was what happened when you left your glasses on the dashboard of your car. I have never left my glasses on the dashboard of my car. NOT EVER. I need them to see! I'm not sure how old these were because I lose track of time - (it really flies when you're having fun!) but no how, no way were they even close to ten or twenty years old. Three maybe. (I'd have to start looking at the date stamps on old pictures to see when they first made an appearance in my photos and I'm not inclined to do that right now.) Suffice it to say that I won't buy from LensCrafters again.

Well, you just can't live in Texas without sunglasses. So I got new ones back in February. Blingy ones by Bebe. Bought them from VisionWorks. 

It really doesn't bode well for these. They've already had to be replaced once because some of the bling fell out and even though I glued it back in, it didn't look right. And the young lady in the store told me that she was surprised they were no longer in stock because they were absolutely the cutest sunglasses ever. Quite frankly, I wasn't surprised. They were probably going broke replacing them when the bling fell out. And let's face it - these things are NOT cheap. Between the pair of regular glasses and sunglasses that I bought - I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 - and that was buy one get one half off. It was my intention to have them replace the lenses in the tortoiseshell frames but the price they gave me to do that was in excess of $400. WHAT!! That's more than I paid for frames and lenses combined and now they want that much for just lenses? I guess I won't be shopping VisionWorks anymore, either. 

I'm a big believer in buying glasses where you can take them and have them refitted if you have a problem. Or if the prescription isn't quite right. But this time, I decided to have the lenses replaced on-line. It was a no-brainer, really. Over $400 versus less than $200. I already knew the frames fit. We just needed to get rid of those nasty lenses that couldn't even be cleaned and get some new brown lenses to go with those tortoiseshell frames and then I'd have a choice of brown or black.

I couldn't be happier with them. I won't hesitate to order online next time. (I used Lenses RX for anyone who's interested.) 













No comments: