Friday, August 9, 2013

No Fish??

We collect fish plates. We don't have thousands or even hundreds of them. (In fact, we still don't even have ten - but we're working on it.) Here is one we bought in Arkansas, made by a local artisan.
Here is the one we found in Amsterdam - hand-painted Delft.
We also have some fish-shaped plates from Mexico and one from France. We were hoping to add to our collection on this trip to New England but although I looked in gift and pottery shops all up and down the coast of Maine and all over Quincy Market in Boston there were NONE to be found.

Very disappointing. While we were there I ate seafood every day. Seafood is plentiful - not just lobsters - there's plenty of fish about. So why no fish plates? I find it amazing that I found one in Arkansas (which was a land-locked state the last time I looked) and I couldn't find one in Maine or Massachusetts. I hope I have better luck on our next trip. But even if I don't find one, it's always fun to look.

No comments: